Tuesday 10 August 2010

Found materials beach necklace

While I subscribe to the saying 'when you're at the beach leave only footprints, take only photographs' [and I always take plenty of those], we're not always highly successful at frisking our daughter and on getting home from holiday discovered we had a couple of broken shells hidden amongst pockets and buckets.
Since we live too far away to take them back, we decided to have a search round see what else we could come up with to make them into a necklace. A little bit of gold leaf on the inside and a few minutes threading together some odd beads from broken necklaces and this is what we came up with:
The goldleaf is stuck and sealed on with my new best friend acrylic medium, which I seem to use for virtually everything except knitting.
We might make some more of these necklaces, but I shall be trying to source some 'farmed' shells. I'm quite pleased with the results of this, but should I be consumed with environmental guilt every time I wear it?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment