Monday 2 August 2010

Finger Knitting Fun

Today we have been finger knitting and my daughter took to it like a duck to water with some bulky wool that changed colour every row or two she was highly motivated and sat proudly making herself a very long length of knitting singing 'Oliver' songs (her latest obsession) as she worked. Every so often she would show me how long it was , only stopping when she reached the end of the the ball.

If you haven't done finger knitting before it's really easy, start by getting them to hold the yarn between finger and thumb then take it over the first finger, under the second and over the third, then under -round and over the little finger to come back and under finger three, over finger two and under the first finger. Basically, it's up and down round the fingers to cast on.

The knitting is easy, the beginning of a row has four stitches on the fingers
Then the yarn is laid across the front of the fingers and
each new stitch is made my pulling the original stitch over the top of and off the finger, leaving the new stitch in place. It's best to start at the end where the yarn is
attached to the knitting finishing with the tail end where it is attached to the ball of wool, so swapping from one side to the other as in 'real' knitting which this is great preparation for.
To cast off, pass one stitch to the next finger and pass the back stitch over it and off and repeat, this method will gather the stitches together onto one stitch and then the end can be passed through the final stitch loop.
This first piece of knitting is being used as a thin scarf or belt depending on my daughter's fancy today, but I have ideas for things to do with this technique, so keep looking out for them if you are interested.

2 comments:

  1. That's interesting, when I started showing my daughter how to finger knit we did over under for every row, but now that you mention it I do seem to remember just running across when I was doing it as a kid. I think your way looks more like knitting, but funny there are different ways to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I work at a public library in copenhagen, denmark and i need a good finger knitting picture for our printed programme. Can I use one of the pictures above?
    Please mail me at: mkf@hvidovre.dk

    Best regards
    Mette Klein

    ReplyDelete