Sunday 23 May 2010

Plastic Bag Fusing Fun (instructions)

I found a group on Ravelry the other day where they've set a monthly challenge to make something out of plastic carrier bags. I managed to abandon the ironing mountain and started experimenting with fusing bags and other things together, windows open just in case, but I can't say that I noticed any dodgy smells. Here's how it went.

So, first I gathered together the few plastic bags I have, plus iron, scissors and two big pieces of baking parchment. Then I cut up the bags and layered them sandwiched between the paper to avoid melting them onto the iron. I set it to medium-high and the ironed away.


I carried on cutting pieces and layering them like this:


I also grabbed some net and sandwiched it between layers of plastic at which stage the sample ended up looking like this and was fairly firm:

I got carried away at this point and threw some chopped up large scale lace crochet, cotton threads and tiny beads into the mix.



Which finally looked like this


At which point I did some cutting out and put it in the window to be a sun catcher:

2 comments:

  1. what a fabulous sun catcher!!!

    I love what you did with the plastic bags, and the addition of all your little extras has made it wonderfully unique...

    nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, there's more possibilties here I think. However I will need to source more bags as I've spent the last couple of year's refusing to let shop keepers give them to me.

    ReplyDelete